Crane operators are responsible for lifting and moving materials around a construction site as safely and efficiently as possible. As a crane driver you'd need to be practically-minded, with an understanding of how to drive and maintain heavy machinery.
- Safely operate various types of cranes to lift and move material.
- Perform daily inspection and preventative maintenance on the equipment.
- Read and understand operator’s manuals and load charts (good math skills).
- Ensure safety at all times.
- Plan and assist with critical lifts.
- Control crane movement in response to hand signals or radio commands.
- May be assigned miscellaneous tasks outside your craft to assist others as required.
- Must be experienced and willing to be evaluated to verify qualification.
- Experience in proper crane setup and site evaluation skills.
- Ability to do calculations on load charts using math skills such as the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- CDL license preferred.
- Job assignments may require a background check.
- Ideally would have a valid crane operator certification from an accredited organization (NCCCO, NCCER).
- Basic rigging skills.