Composite Design Engineer
Salary: $115,000 - 125,000/year
The candidate works within the Engineering Team to design, analyze, develop, qualify, and produce composite overwrapped pressure vessel (COPV) products primarily used in aerospace, energy, and commercial applications. The candidate demonstrates strong aptitudes in product design, processing, and manufacture. The candidate performs a variety of project related tasks including analysis, hands on fabrication, and testing. The candidate has passions for new energies, space, and aerospace.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mechanical design and analysis of filament wound composite products.
- Responsible for the overall form, fit, and function of each design.
- Engineering of composite materials for filament winding processes Utilize design, finite element analysis (FEA), and manufacturing software to determine the suitability of potential solutions.
- Responsible for ensuring all designs are compliant with pertinent rules and regulations.
- Preparation of design and analysis reports.
- Work in a cross-functional team to design, analyze, and develop filament-wound composite products.
- Provides suppliers technical direction as necessary to: Specify components and assist with procurement.
- Ensure projects meet cost and schedule targets.
- Utilize Design for Six Sigma principles (DfSS) to create robust solutions.
- Work with and provide technical direction to computer aided design (CAD) personnel for modeling and drafting of components and assemblies.
- Review drawing packages to ensure conformance with established company and industry specifications and standards.
- Specification and approval of engineering change orders (ECO).
- Assist with periodic review of configuration management system. Perform project management duties.
- Provide project status reports to management. Provide project status reports to customers. Control financial, schedule, and technical risks.
- Review designs for the overall form, fit, and function of each design.
- Required skills, knowledge, or abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering; four year college or university program certificate or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a Design Engineer; a graduate degree specializing in Materials Engineering or a similar field may be substituted for years of experience.
- Experience with various types of composite structures used in radomes.
- Experience with structural analysis and finite element modeling.
- Experience with mechanical and environmental testing for flight qualification.
Apply for this position