Cape Canaveral, FL
- Create schematics and cable harness drawings using AutoCAD Electrical
- Create electrical panel assembly drawings using 3D modeling software such as SolidWorks. Experience with OnShape is a plus.
- Select power and instrumentation components to be used in the electrical system and create a bill of materials
- Create purchase requisitions for power and instrumentation components
- Design control systems including printed circuit boards (PCBs), thermocouples, pressure transducers, proportional valves and solenoid valves.
- Design DC power distribution systems (DC-DC converter selection experience, battery power experience, circuit breaker selection experience, wire sizing experience)
- Design AC power distribution systems (240V/120V systems)
- Design Ethernet and serial networks. Experience with CAN bus is a plus.
- Write procedures describing how to operate and test controls equipment
- Troubleshoot and coordinate with the team in order to determine problems and implement solutions
- Consistently research, test, and analyze ideas for the system and provide process improvement ideas
- As the Responsible Engineer, develop critical electromechanical subsystems from requirements formulation through qualification, acceptance, production integration, continuous improvements, and preventative maintenance programs.
- Utilize the full spectrum of iterative development, rapid prototyping, design, analysis, test, and manufacturing techniques to create efficient equipment and data acquisitions systems.
- Lead your design reviews internally and participate in reviews with colleagues and suppliers.
- Contribute to the overall design of equipment incorporating disciplines in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Design, and Integration.
- Perform due diligence analysis on designs including requirements review, hand calculations, thermal systems, failure modes, and CAD in a rapid and iterative development environment.
- Ownership of your product delivery timeline through conception, design, integration, launch and recovery.
- Exemplify technical excellence and be accountable for your own work.
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical
- Experience with 3D modeling software such as SolidWorks
- Experience drawing schematics showing analog I/O, digital I/O, power and network connections to controllers
- Experience drawing cable harness assembly drawings
- Experience drawing electrical panel assembly drawings
- Experience with battery management systems
- Experience with Ethernet, RS232, RS485 and CAN bus networks
- Experience with power distribution system design
- Experience in selecting components and materials that will be subjected to extreme conditions (high/low pressure, high/low temperature, corrosion, vibration, etc.)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering preferred. Not required if experience is in excess of 10 years
- Subject matter expert in sensors and instrumentation integration
- Hands on skills and ability to provide directions to technicians to build, test, and troubleshoot prototype systems
- Expertise in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with product validation: shock, vibration, and environmental testing
- Analyze product/system requirements to create mechanical architecture
- Define mechanical subsystem and components requirements
- Own product level and main sub-systems assembly drawings and procedures
- Lead detailed design of all mechanical components.
- Provide expertise and guidance in analysis of new complex designs using CAE (structural, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow)
- Approve all mechanical subsystem and components design documentation (drawings, materials specification, etc)
- Perform root-cause analysis of failure modes, interpretation of unexpected test results and conflicting data to formulate hypothesis and drive solutions
- Experience with space rated systems is a plus
- Ability to work well in an integrated, fast-paced, dynamic collaborative team environment.
- Passion for hands on work including equipment assembly and maintenance.
- Organizational skills in managing multiple projects while contributing to others.
- 2+ years of experience with mechanical/electromechanical design and analysis (internship experience qualifies) in a full cycle design engineering role.
- Understanding of control theory and experience with embedded computing using Python and/or C/C++, etc. is a plus.
- Ability to write ladder logic for Programmable Logic Controllers (Allen-Bradley) is a plus.
- Ability to design control screens for human machine interfaces (HMI) to communicate with programmable logic controllers over Ethernet is a plus.
- Experience with data acquisition systems is a plus.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Hands-on project experience, preferably as a team or sub-system team lead
- Experience with control systems
- Experience with automation of processes and equipment
- 4+ years of professional experience in electromechanical design and analysis.
- 2+ years of hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems, preferably as a lead.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Demonstrated understanding of analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to travel as needed
- Ability to pass NASA background checks for Cape Canaveral
- Ability to pass a drug test
- Ability to get a merchant mariner certification
- ITAR and NASA BADGING REQUIREMENTS:
Apply for this position