· Create analytic files. This involves abstracting relevant variables from large health survey data sets following prescribed file and variable format requirements, specifically, the National Vital Statistics System, National Health Interview Survey, National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, National Health Care Surveys and Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.
· Format analytic files. Create files that can be uploaded directly into the in-house system with no additional processing required.
· Create measures. Apply existing or develop new algorithms to create analytical variables from existing variables. This requires translating detailed written measure specifications into specific programming code.
· Data tabulation and analysis. Produce summary tables for short-term or long-term data projects for inclusion in routine and special NCHS publications and documents. Conduct QA procedures and provide documentation of steps used to assess accuracy of tabulated data.
· Software/Programming code. Apply statistical concepts to develop population weighting and other adjustments to health survey data.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
· Bachelor of Science degree in IT related field.
· 5 years of SAS programming experience in a research environment.
· Experience using SAS Macros, data step, data set sorting and merging, and manipulation of arrays and subsets.
· Experience using SUDAAN.
· Knowledge of survey design and related statistical concepts.
· Knowledge and experience with health surveys and large health-related databases.
· Use of QA procedures to ensure accuracy of data derived from analytical files and created variables.
· Excellent interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups and sensitive information.