The Director, Project Management directs the development, organization and management of project teams, highlighting achievements, obstacles and risks/risk reduction to senior management. Director ensures that consistent best practices are adhered to throughout all phases of all contracts and agreement in order to support the successful completion of corporate goals. Development and maintenance of project timelines, project plans and task deliverables. Establish appropriate level of communication to ensure parties are properly informed of responsibilities and resource needs through a series of meetings including new awards and activities/expectation through award update.
The Director will ensure appropriate project management expertise in the planning, execution and close-out of all client based contracts (government and non-government) pre-clinical vaccine and/or microbicide development projects; directs and leads cross-functional project teams responsible for product development through pre-clinical studies, cGMP manufacturing, GLP toxicology, release testing, GCLP clinical immuno-monitoring and regulatory submissions.
• Directs, establishes, implements, and manages contract technical and deliverable requirements (government and non-government) plans and timelines to inform staff in achieving project/corporate goals. Determine activities and resources required to meet client scope and business objectives at an appropriate level of quality for the specific requirement.
• Directs, establishes and implements all contract milestones, schedules and timelines; resources required to execute; preparing budgets; identifying areas where subcontractors are required, reviewing proposals and selecting optimal subcontractors for the project; determining potential areas of difficulties and preparing back-up strategies and subcontractors.
• Responsible for the tracking and use of financial resources for the various project team members. This includes invoice tracking, forecasting revenue recognition, meeting corporate financial objectives in support of Finance reporting to Executive Management.
• Develops consistent practices across reporting of all business unit objectives amongst project management responsibilities.
• Directs and carries out project plans as defined by the scope and activities under each contract; evaluating overall project performance on a regular basis; developing appropriate departmental capabilities to perform responsibilities; managing subcontractors and oversee in-house contract functions; utilizing a database to allow shared access by shareholders for store all information regarding the products prepared under all contract; communicating all project issues/needs to Department Heads; and ensuring that all corporate deliverable goals are met.
• Evaluate decision points of the on-going contracts in order to ensure that contracts and relevant corporate objectives are on the desired path and are executed of appropriate quality, within budget and on time.
• Ensure that project priorities and decisions are communicated, are consistent within project management to support the overall corporate objectives.
• Ensure business development, contract and finance documents are supported, reviewed, negotiated and executed in a timely manner.
• Delegate complex contract assignments; maintain an understanding of all projects within the group, set goals and objectives.
• Support on-going continuous improvement and cost containment programs to design more efficient ways to schedule and execute portfolios, as well as evaluate the use of alternative procedures to improve efficiency to reduce costs. Forecast and manage invoice and revenue recognition and profit/loss evaluations for contracts and projects.
• Monitor various intellectual property issues in coordination with legal representation.
• Oversee contract deliverables; prepare thorough reporting deliverables of multiple contracted agreements.
• Other duties as assigned; including but not limited to, participation on assigned projects and teams.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE JOB:
• MBA, MS., Ph.D, plus; 20+ experience in a biotechnology research/pre-clinical process and biologics drug development setting with at least 10 years relevant Project Management experience.
• 8+ years with direct oversight of government contract management, reporting and deliverables. This includes proposal development and budget management.
• 15+ years of previous laboratory supervisory experience in the biologics development and/or clinical settings of vaccines and/or therapeutics, preferably for infectious disease indications. .
• Previous demonstrated oversight of departmental experience (as Department Head reporting to Executive Management) required.
• Effective written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, analytical/problem solving skills, negotiation skills, cross-departmental; team leadership, financial management skills and goal setting skills required.
• Proven ability to set departmental goals based on corporate objectives.
• Effective presentation and meeting skills within all levels of the organization and with a wide variety of external clients, colleagues and collaborators globally.
• Strong computer skills (MS Office, Word, Excel, Project, Visio and database)