Filing Assistant (Law Firm)
Job Title: Filing Assistant
Department: Legal Support
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Employment Type: Full-Time, Direct Hire Compensation: $40k-$50k
We are seeking a dedicated and organized Filing Assistant to join our prestigious law firm. The Filing Assistant plays a critical role in maintaining an efficient and organized document management system. This position involves managing, sorting, and filing legal documents and records, ensuring that they are easily accessible to attorneys and staff when needed. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented, have strong organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced legal environment.
***Prior Law Firm experience is required
Document Organization and Filing:
- Sort, index, and file legal documents, correspondence, and other records according to established procedures.
- Maintain a well-organized and up-to-date filing system, ensuring easy retrieval of documents when required.
- Label and categorize documents accurately for quick reference.
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of sensitive legal materials.
Data Entry and Record Keeping:
- Enter data related to legal documents into the firm's electronic database or case management software.
- Assist in maintaining accurate records of all filed documents and case-related information.
- Retrieve requested documents and records promptly for attorneys, paralegals, and staff.
- Assist in preparing document sets for court proceedings, depositions, and client meetings.
Maintenance of Office Equipment:
- Ensure that all filing equipment, such as cabinets, scanners, and photocopiers, are in good working condition.
- Report any equipment issues to the appropriate department for repair or replacement.
Assist with Administrative Tasks:
- Provide administrative support to legal secretaries, paralegals, and attorneys as needed.
- Assist with photocopying, scanning, and mailing of documents.
- Maintain office supplies related to filing and document management.
Compliance and Quality Control:
- Adhere to the firm's document retention and destruction policies.
- Ensure all documents are properly stored and archived in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Communicate effectively with attorneys, paralegals, and support staff regarding document-related requests and tasks.
- Respond promptly to inquiries and requests for information.
- High school diploma or equivalent (Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred).
- Previous experience in a law firm or legal setting is advantageous but not required.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in using standard office equipment and computer software, including document management systems.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Team-oriented with a positive attitude and a willingness to assist colleagues as needed.
This role may require lifting boxes of documents and bending or reaching to access files. The individual should be able to stand or sit for extended periods and use standard office equipment.