The Composites Technician operates production equipment and is responsible for manufacturing and assembly of products. Follows blueprints, guidelines and/or diagrams to ensure product specifications to tolerance levels are met.
Core Accountabilities and Essential Functions
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into tools.
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes, and vacuum connections.
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and curing.
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches.
- Surface prep, hand and power abrasion techniques, parts trimming and finishing.
- Tool prep and maintenance.
- Spacecraft structure assembly.
- Ensure all production services are performed on time, safely, and in a professional manner.
- Drill, ream, countersink full size holes in parts/assemblies, in proper sequence and to correct size using drill motor.
- Set countersinking tools to proper depth as required.
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using chip chasers, deburring tools, and files to prepare for installation of fasteners.
- Use solvents to clean surfaces prior to sealing or assembly.
- Apply sealant, alodine, primer, adhesives, special finishes.
- Load and unload ovens to bond detail parts to assemblies.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner.
- Determine and obtain correct type and size fasteners.
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing.
- Modification, repair, assembly of spacecraft.
- Use tooling holes, pilot holes, or by hand (as required), per drawing or tooling instructions.
- Align parts and secure in place using clecos or tooling/hand clamps.
- Check for good edge margins and alignment.
- Shim and/or trim parts as required.
- Select drill bits, reamers and/or countersinking tools for pilot and full-size holes.
- Locate, drill pilot holes using drill motor and proper size drill bit(s).