Job Title: CAD Drafter
Job Overview: A CAD drafter is responsible for translating engineering designs, concepts, and specifications into accurate and detailed technical drawings and 3D models. They work closely with engineers, architects, and other professionals to ensure that designs are properly documented and can be used for manufacturing, construction, or project implementation.
Drafting and Modeling:
- Create 2D and 3D technical drawings and models using SolidWorks software.
- Convert hand-drawn sketches, rough concepts, or verbal instructions into precise digital designs.
- Ensure that all drawings and models adhere to industry standards and company-specific guidelines.
- Collaborate with engineers, architects, and other team members to understand project requirements and design intent.
- Incorporate design changes and revisions as needed, ensuring accuracy and alignment with project goals.
- Develop detailed assembly drawings, schematics, and bill of materials (BOM).
- Maintain and update design documentation to reflect any modifications or improvements.
- Perform quality checks on drawings and models to identify errors or inconsistencies and rectify them promptly.
- Ensure that designs are feasible, cost-effective, and manufacturable.
Prototyping and Testing Support:
- Assist in the creation of prototypes or models based on CAD designs.
- Provide support during prototype testing and validation phases.
- Offer technical support to other departments, such as manufacturing, procurement, and maintenance, to resolve design-related issues.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest CAD and SolidWorks software advancements and tools.
- Provide training and guidance to junior drafting personnel, if necessary.
Compliance and Safety:
- Ensure that all designs comply with relevant industry regulations, codes, and safety standards.
- Participate in design reviews and assessments to address safety concerns.
- Bachelor's degree or diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Drafting, or a related field (preferred).
- Proficiency in CAD software, particularly SolidWorks.
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in drafting and modeling.
- Good communication skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing project requirements.
- Knowledge of industry-specific standards and regulations (e.g., ASME, ANSI) is a plus.
- Typically, 2-5 years of experience in CAD drafting and modeling.
- Previous experience working in industries like manufacturing, engineering, construction, or product design is beneficial.