Description of Responsibilities:
The candidate shall serve as the Necropsy Support Coordinator for the Pathology Division. The candidate shall oversee the maintenance of all necropsy laboratories, the Pathology Division technician training program, and coordinate necropsy support for all protocols supported by the Pathology Division in BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 necropsy suites. The candidate shall provide technical support to assist pathologists during necropsy procedures as well as perform independent tissue collections, tissue accessioning, and routine and special histological processing on submitted cases. The candidates should be HT (ASCP) certified or have significant relevant experience. Variable work hours may apply based on technical job requirements, including occasional night and weekend hours. The candidate will be required to perform necropsy and related procedures in Biosafety Levels 1-4 in accordance with all institute safety recommendations, guidelines, and procedures. Enrollment in the Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP) for handling select agents is required and must be maintained. The candidate must have a favorably adjudicated Single Scoped Background Investigation (SSBI) completed. An FBI Security Risk Assessment (SRA) must also be completed and approved.
- Leads the Pathology Division necropsy orientation, necropsy training, and BSL-3 and BSL-4 Pathology Division Mentorship Program of all assigned necropsy technicians. Instructs and evaluates new technicians to ensure trainees meet all Institute bio containment training and laboratory biosafety requirements. Maintain training files as appropriate.
- Leads and directs the maintenance and operation of all BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 necropsy laboratories. Ensure all necropsy laboratories meet biosafety requirements and assigns laboratory responsibilities to others as needed. Ensures necropsy laboratories are fully stocked, operational, and meet all inspection requirements.
- Coordinate and schedule necropsy technicians to ensure adequate protocol support during normal duty hours. Maintain an on-call schedule for after-hours/holiday pathologist and necropsy technician support. Coordinate with pathologists and technicians to ensure adequate protocol support.
- Actively participates in development and coordination of necropsy work plans and budgets in coordination with the Chief, Laboratory Services, and Pathology Division.
- Prepare the instruments and other materials necessary to conduct necropsies. Collect specimens such as tissues, culture samples, and blood or body fluid samples during necropsy. Dissect, or assist with the dissection of laboratory animals and properly collect, label, and preserve/fix tissue specimens as required. Dispose of animal carcasses in accordance with institute safety guidelines and procedures.
- Prepare preliminary record of gross findings using appropriate pathological terminology. Prepares and transmits gross photographic images.
- Accession submitted cases into the pathology database and performs database entry procedures utilizing computer hardware and software. Maintain accurate records of all specimens.
- Perform routine and special histological procedures involving specimen trim-in, processing, embedding, sectioning, staining, and archival of completed case materials.
- Evaluate, modify, or develop procedures to meet special requirements of particular research studies. Advice and train investigators on methods and materials needed to assure proper tissue handling and collection, and preservation of specimens for a wide variety of histological, immunohistochemical, and special molecular procedures and assays.
- Operate and calibrates specialized equipment to ensure accurate, high quality results to meet stringent clinical, research and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) requirements.
- Perform required job-related training as necessary in accordance with Pathology Division policies and procedures.
- Recommend attending 1 scientific conference annually in order to obtain continuing education and to ensure cutting edge knowledge and techniques are maintained.
- BS + 4 years’ exp or MS + 2 years’ exp
- HT (ASCP) certified or have significant relevant experience
Required Skills and Experience:
- Tissue handling and collection, and preservation of specimens for a wide variety of histological, immunohistochemical, and special molecular procedures and assays
- Routine and special histological procedures involving specimen trim-in, processing, embedding, sectioning, staining, and archival of completed case materials
- Basic database entry skills (Excel, FileMaker, or Oracle)
- User level skills with Microsoft office suite
- User level laboratory equipment maintenance
- Laboratory animal necropsy experience
- BSL 3 experience (willingness & eligibility for BSL 4)
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BSL 4 experience
- Current SSBI background check
- Current BPRP enrollment
- Laboratory trainer experience
- Laboratory management experience (schedules, ordering supplies, etc)