Position Description: Technical Writer (PMS)
Standard Job Description:
Researches and writes technical maintenance requirements for the preventative maintenance system (PMS) supporting specialized military equipment, integrated systems and subsystems, IT equipment and software. Edits and updates existing technical maintenance requirements in a fast-paced fluid environment of engineering changes.
Specific Job Description:
Writes and/or edits technical procedures, maintenance requirement cards (MRCs) and maintenance index pages (MIPs) to support the preventative maintenance for the AN/BQQ-10 ARCI Sonar Set and/or other submarine electronics systems as needed. Develops technical procedures, diagrams, operational specifications, and related technical information. Provides clear and effective communication through technical documentation to a wide range of audiences. Responsible for capturing and documenting operational and maintenance related information to support the introduction of new technology to the US Navy submarine fleet.
The following skills are required:
- Ability to write technical procedures, including definition of required tools, test equipment, and maintenance related consumable items used for operation and maintenance of electronic, electrical, mechanical, and other equipment.
- Ability to write using clear and concise language that adheres to customer-established standards and conventions. Knowledge of the English language, usage and composition.
- Ability to acquire and verify subject matter content by interviewing workers engaged in developing products and services, observing production methods, referring to blueprints, sketches, engineering drawings, notes, manuals, and similar publications.
- Ability to define required graphics, photographs, tables, figures, and engineering drawings and/or create graphic materials using basic photography and graphic applications such as PowerPoint and Photoshop.
The following skills are highly desirable:
- Qualification as a Navy PMS technician and experience using the Navy PMS system to maintain Sonar-related electronic, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
- Knowledge and familiarity of MIP/MRC technical documentation standards.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite.
- Experience performing system operation and maintenance on US Navy submarine systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline or equivalent US Navy active duty experience
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens able to obtain a Secret level security clearance.
Job Location: Manassas, Virginia
Contract Terms: 40 hours/week, onsite
Start Date: Immediate