We seek a full-time Senior Controller who is highly organized and able to prioritize among diverse tasks, coordinate with other senior leadership, and is interested in helping grow this unique firm. The Senior Controller will be responsible for all of the daily and monthly accounting duties.
The ideal candidate will have a solid knowledge of business finance and experience running a company with multiple business lines.
Our businesses include consulting, design, real estate development and brokerage. A tremendous amount can be learned from handling the financials of these varying lines of business and this is an excellent opportunity for someone with a creative financial mind. This position will be key in ensuring the growth and the success of the company.
This position reports directly to the CFO and interfaces with other design principals and project managers, outside CPA firm, financial institutions, vendors, HR consultant and insurance consultants. Responsibilities include shared supervision of an administrative staff person and accountant.
• Review preliminary invoices for appropriate labor, expense charges, billing rates, and fee maximums, and make appropriate changes and reclassifications;
• Manage accountant and office manager;
• Oversee payroll system and process;
• Reconcile Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
• Processes payroll and calculates Broker commissions
• Performs cash reconciliation and cash management
• Provides tax and review schedules for outside accounts
• Ensure that appropriate internal controls are in place to protect the firm’s assets and to generate an appropriate return on projects;
• Ensure that appropriate financial management techniques, tools and resources are utilized in order to achieve or exceed the project’s stated financial goals;
• Monitor the progress of projects, investigating variances, approving expenses, and ensuring project billings are issued to clients and payments are collected;
• Communicate with clients regarding the status of outstanding invoices, invoice approvals and ultimate collection;
• Review and analyze the contract and financial condition of each project on a monthly basis and advise project managers;
• Work with partners and project managers assisting in fee and expense analysis, and tracking project performance and profitability;
• Report on financials weekly and on financial planning (accrual and cash) monthly, including advising partners of any significant issues;
• Serve as banking liaison managing all company loans, LOC, investments, mortgages and construction loans;
• Serve as tax liaison, communicating with outside accountants for annual financial statement and tax returns;
• Manage financial aspects of employee group benefit plans;
• Execute various ad-hoc analyses and special projects as assigned.
• BS Degree in Accounting or Finance strongly preferred
• 10 plus years of experience in the design and/or real estate industry required
• 10+ years of experience in Accounting & Finance functions
• Expertise with Deltek Vision 7.4 or other similar design industry accounting and project management software required;
• CPA designation a plus
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Strong MS Excel knowledge
• Excellent communication and strong analytical skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
• Proficient in Quickbooks or other accounting suite.