Work site location: This position will have a split between Gaithersburg, MD, 20879, and Washington, DC, 20003. It will be +/- 60% Gaithersburg with some travel to the DC Naval yard.
The Senior Network Engineer provides technical expertise, strategic planning, and recommendations for new technologies and network applications for use in the design and development of IP-based television and multi-cast video distribution systems for US Navy ships.
NOTE: an active Secret clearance is absolutely 100% required.
You will architect, design, and implement a network system to integrate numerous US Naval ships with an IPTV distribution network.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate and define network requirements for the distribution and streaming of video and audio data via IP-based network systems. Requirements to be considered include number of network hosts, number of streams, routing and switching, bandwidth, conditional access, network security and vulnerability detection.
- Evaluate leading and emerging technologies and architectures in relation to the requirements and propose system-level network architectures. Evaluations shall include interaction with vendors and industry representatives to identify the broadest range of technological options.
- Prepare reports and technical data for presentation to management regarding chosen architectures and equipment. Reports and data shall be strongly supported by industry standards, common best practices, and long-term reliability/supportability.
- Lead the efforts for validation testing programs of planned architectures and equipment to demonstrate their effectiveness for use.
- Ensure that network infrastructure is fully documented and logistically supported for its planned life cycle.
- Provide technical expertise to develop new product strategies and enhance existing product sets.
- Prepare life cycle upgrade plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Cisco Certification level of CCNP.
- In-depth knowledge of LAN engineering design for data and video networks at Access, Distribution, and Core network locations.
- Thorough understanding of modern service provider TCP/IP data networks using standards and technologies including but not limited to: Ethernet, OSPF, IGMP, STP, RSTP, 802.1q, 802.11n, and 802.11ac.
- Knowledge, skills and experience with Cisco routing, switching, and wireless hardware, software and protocols.
- Working knowledge of structured cabling systems and network facilities.
- Ability to work alone as an individual contributor, as a technical lead and as a participant in a team environment.
- Router, Switch and IP configuration experience is required.
- Employee will work primarily in an office environment, but substantial work will be required on US Navy ships during ship checks and installations.
- an active Secret clearance is required.
Additional Helpful Skills:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or Network Engineering with five or more years directly related network design experience.
- CCNA Wireless
- Desirable certifications include: Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE); Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA).